ACCELERATED READER AR
ACCELERATED READER (AR)
All students should be reading 20 to 30 minutes each night to promote literacy and love of reading and learning. Many teachers across Simi Schools use Accelerated Reader to track reading progress and encourage reading proficiency.
What is Accelerated Reader?
Accerated Reader® (AR) is a reading program for first through sixth grade students that:
- Manages student reading.
- Monitors student’s comprehension.
- Motivates students to read.
- Increases the volume, quality, and enjoyment of reading.
Why do we need AR?
- Alarming statistics point out that elementary school students are spending less and less time reading independently.
- The Accelerated Reader® program challenges all readers – from the novice to the most advanced bookworms – to read more quality literature at their own level.
How does AR work?
- The student takes an assessment test to determine their reading level.
- This STAR test is generally given once a quarter and is designed to identify a student’s range of independent reading.
- The student is given an independent reading level rating (ZPD) based on their STAR test results.
- Students read books in their reading level chosen from a list of more than 110,000 books with AR quizzes available.
- The target is to find material that is not too easy or too frustrating.
- Students have access to more than 110,000 quizzes.
- After reading the book, the student takes a quiz on the book using a classroom computer.
- Each quiz is 5 to 20 multiple choice questions.
- Student goal is to score 80% or higher on each quiz.
How is AR used in the classroom?
- Teachers set AR® reading goals, depending upon grade level, per week, month or trimester.
- Each book has a point value depending on reading level and difficulty.
- Students must earn a minimum number of book points or titles read per week, month or trimester.
What results can be expected from AR?
- Student receives immediate feedback.
- Teacher and student review the results.
- Based on results, teacher makes recommendations.
- Teachers receive detailed reports on students’ progress.
How does the library support AR?
- Library page on website explains how Accelerated Reader® works
- Library maintains list of all books in the library with AR quizzes available through ARBookfind.com. Teachers, students and parents may access this list using ARBookfind.com.
How can parents help?
- Encourage your child to read..
- Make time at home for reading
- Shut down distractions.
- Ask your child about his or her book.
- Donate a needed book to our library or your child’s classroom.